As a homeowner, an ideal home would have all the amenities necessary for you to carry out your daily activities with ease. For car owners, having adequate garage space is crucial and will dictate the comfort and security of you and your vehicle.
If you want to build a custom home or renovate your current one to include a covered garage, consider adding an underground one to your property. Underground parking is space-efficient and secure and will add value to your home if you sell it later. In this post, we delve into some important things to consider when building underground.
Are Underground Garages Practical?
Underground garages bring many benefits, but they may pose challenges when building them, especially if you want to add them to an existing establishment. Whether it’s practical or not for you will depend on many variables. Some factors to consider include the soil and landscape type, the size of the lot, underground utilities, foundation type, garage size and your overall budget. We recommend working with a professional architect or engineer to determine the suitability of an underground garage for your home.
Risk Vs. Rewards
Here are some of the pros and cons of building an underground garage:
- Adding an underground garage will not require extra space. You don’t have to build it underneath the home. You can build it next to your main building and still have a usable yard.
- It provides a very secure shelter for yourself and your property. Your car will be protected against the weather and elements. You can also enjoy increased safety with direct access to your home from the garage.
- An underground garage can be transformed into a different room if you need to expand the square footage of your living space or add more storage.
- An underground garage requires specialised contractors to ensure that it complies with regulations.
- Adding an underground structure involves excavation work and securing the soil with retaining walls. Calculations must be correct also for the slope of the entrance.
Adding Value to Your Home
Any annexe structure that adds usable space to your property will increase its value. A garage is a fantastic addition since most homeowners likely own a car. Even if repurposed, an underground garage adds another level to your home. If you are building a new house, it will be easier to include an underground garage in the project, increasing your return on investment.
Building Underground? RW Steel Can Help
An underground garage is a great way to add value to your home and provide a secure place to store your vehicles. When you build an underground structure like a garage, it’s crucial to first secure the soil with retaining walls and use steel beams to reinforce the building.
If you need reliable and affordable materials for your underground build, RW Steel provides high-quality galvanised steel posts that you can use for retaining walls. We also offer a variety of other steel products for your building and construction needs. Contact us today to see how we can help.